Queso Fundido con Hongos al Ajillo con Guajillo
This dish is exactly what the name says: melted cheese- tons of it! It's not a dip, not a sauce. You throw one or more delicious melting cheeses into a baking pan, and heat it in the oven until the cheese not only melts, but becomes bubbly on top and crusty all around the edges.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, plus 2 tablespoons ﬁnely chopped garlic
- 3⁄4 cup ﬁnely chopped white onion
- 2 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded, and ﬁnely chopped or snipped with scissors
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as white button, baby bella, and wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups grated mixed melting cheeses, such as asadero, Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella (1 pound)
- 8 to 10 ﬂour and/or corn tortillas
- Guacamole or 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced (optional)
- Salsa(s) of your choice for serving (optional)
CIRCULON| 3.5-Quart Nonstick Straining Saucepan
FARBERWARE| 11-Inch Nonstick Square Griddle
ANOLON| 12-Inch Frying Pan
Our Cookware Picks
- Preheat the oven to 450℉ degrees, with a rack in the upper third. Lightly oil a large shallow baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the whole garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard, leaving the ﬂavored oil behind.
- Add the onion and guajillo chiles and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, just until the onion begins to soften. Add the chopped garlic, stir, and cook for a minute, until fragrant. Stir in the mushrooms, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the mushroom juices have been released and begun to evaporate and the mushrooms have begun to color, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the salt.
- Combine the cheeses thoroughly and arrange in the baking dish. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or
- until the cheese is completely melted. Top with the mushrooms, return to the oven, and bake for another 7 to 8 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling, the edges are crusty, and the top is lightly browned.
Meanwhile, heat a comal or large skillet over medium-low heat for at least 5 minutes.
One or two at a time, depending on the size of your comal or pan, heat the tortillas, making sure they are not overlapping, until warm, puffed, and browned in spots, about a minute per side. Place in a tortilla warmer or wrap in a clean cloth or kitchen towel.
- Serve the queso bubbling hot from the oven, with the warm tortillas and guacamole or avocado slices and salsa, if desired. Let everyone assemble their own tacos at the table.